Thursday 1 December 2011

Drawing and Light



For this project I started by wrapping an object in various clear plastic materials and then unwrapping the object and projecting it's shadow against the wall. I chose a mechanical whisk for my object because I thought it would produce an interesting shadow. When I was happy with my projected image I started to draw it. The idea of the project was to recreate the tonal layers of the image and it's structure through various drawing methods.

To begin with I struggled and became frustrated with my drawing because I could not capture the textural quality of the crumpled up plastic of the object and shadow. Eventually I finally thought I'd managed to find a way of expressing it through using geometric pencil lines and layering them over and over the tonal quality of the smeared charcoal. In the end I was happy with the overall composition.



Charcoal and Pencil on cartridge paper.


My idea for using geometric lines had come from love of Constructivism and the drawings of Alexander Rodchenko.

Rodchenko_Compass_and_Ruler_Drawing_2_1914-15.jpg



I also produced some prints inspired by the same artist.







No comments:

Post a Comment